Friday, November 20, 2009

Jake Barry makes me think.

I have the most interesting conversations with a guy named Jake Barry. He thinks Christians are dumb, but we're friends, regardless of his negative view.

We talk about all the things he doesn't like about Christians. He can't understand why Christians hate homosexuals so much. He hates hypocrisy, he doesn't understand why Christians love a God that seems so far away and so uncaring.

A lot of the times I don't have any good answers, and I am a Christian myself. I'm part of the group he dislikes so strongly. I don't know what to say.

He's honest. I am glad he is honest, despite how it stings sometimes.

"Christians are supposed to be loving, but they hate fags," he would say.

What could I say, a knew lots of people at my church that held this view. I didn't agree with them, I didn't think Christians should be so full of hate.

So what can we do? How can we change this negative view non-Christians hold?


Well, for starters, why don't we love people like Jesus did? When will we stop condemning for sins and start loving them?
Why don't we engage in random acts of kindness. Paying for groceries, making food for a neighbor, buying someone flowers for no reason?

Why don't we listen more? There are broken people in the world...really broken. They want to be heard....to be accepted. We are refusing them.

Why don't we open our homes? Bring in people for holidays, for friday night gatherings, making them feel welcome?

Why don't we act like we have hope? Why don't we exude a thirst for higher things, for the future, why isn't our joy contagious?

There is a lot of things we could change.

Granted, Christians will be persecuted...the Bible says it.

But why are we known for our hate instead of our love?






1 comment:

  1. Why don't we love people like Jesus did . . . unconditionally, without reservation. He didn't love their sin, but He loved them. I guess we tend to confuse their sin with the person, equate that person with the sin, and then come to hate the person like we hate the sin. In which case, we make it all about us and our self-righteousness and not about the person who needs Christ.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete